This traditional Chicken Mole recipe from Rick Bayless is easier than you think and will delight your taste buds as you pair it with our 2018 Petit Verdot!
Petit Verdot can lend a whole lot to a blend, as it tends to be very big and bold. However, we prefer to show off this varietal as a standalone. Also from the Olsen Brothers vineyard, you are in for a treat with this complex dark beauty. Notes of black fruit, butterscotch, coffee, toast, oh my! The symphony of tannins, oak, fruit, and acidity are in perfect balance with each other.
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil or Fresh Rendered Pork Lard
- 2 Medium Dried Ancho Chilies stemmed, seeded, and torn into 4 pieces
- 3 Medium Dried Mulato Chilies stemmed, seeded, and torn into 4 pieces
- 4 Medium Dried Pasilla Chilies stemmed, seeded, and torn into 4 pieces
- 3 Garlic Cloves peeled
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth plus more if needed
- 1/2 Cup Almonds skinned or unskinned
- 1/3 Cup Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- 1 Cup Canned Tomatoes preferably fire-roasted with juice
- 2 Slices Firm White Bread darkly toasted and torn into pieces
- 1/8 tsp Cloves ground
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper ground
- 1/8 tsp Anise Seed ground
- 1/3 Cup Mexican Chocolate chopped
Visit RickBayless.Com for Full Instructions & Video
Serve with grilled chicken, rice, tortillas, and fresh avocado for a delicious traditional meal!